Friday, April 5, 2013

Sales tax permits and the 'block' program

The Rhode Island Division of Taxation’s Compliance & Collections section in March mailed notices to approximately 4,650 holders of sales permits, reminding them that they are delinquent on state tax.

The Tax Division has placed a “block” on their accounts, preventing renewal of their sales tax permits because they are delinquent on certain state taxes – such as sales, meals and beverage, hotel and/or withholding tax – and have not met their obligations.

If you don’t have a retail sales tax permit, you cannot legally operate a retail sales business in Rhode Island.

If you hold a retail sales permit and you’re delinquent on your state taxes, your best bet is to pay what you owe. That way, you can get your retail sales permit renewed – which means you’ll legally be able to continue conducting your retail sales business in Rhode Island. If you have questions, or seek to make arrangements to pay, call the Compliance & Collections section at (401) 574-8941 from 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. business days.