Thursday, March 1, 2012

Guidance for C corps on combined reporting

The Rhode Island Division of Taxation today issued guidance for C corporations that are subject to the new filing requirement involving combined reporting and that wish to obtain an extension of the time to file:

First, make sure you file the Form RI-7004 for the usual six-month extension. It's due on or before March 15, 2012 (assuming you’re a calendar-year taxpayer).

After the March 15 deadline, but before September 15, the Tax Division will make available a new form on which you may file for an additional one-month extension. The new form, to be called RI-7004-CRS, is not available yet; it's under development and will be posted at some point after March 15 but before September 15.

It is not necessary to send a letter to the Tax Division seeking an extension related to the filing requirement involving combined reporting. Just file the Form RI-7004 by March 15, and the Form RI-7004-CRS when available.